February 17, 2017
Things have been progressing quite nicely on this small patch job of a kitchen that has taken nearly every single moment of my time outside of my full time job. No, I didn’t neglect to mention sleep time because there has not been a whole lot of that, either!
In the above photo you can see we have still been quite happy with our sink-on-a-sawhorse setup. We are still able to cook coffee with a makeshift range and the industrial lighting works well, too. If you like that sickly yellow tint, that is.
But all in all, things are going great. In the above photo, I installed a 3/4 ply backer board between the studs to support the new counter top that will go along this wall. It is a 12-13″ counter only, and it will be floating without a cabinet beneath it because we have hot water baseboard and that little corner is the only means of heat in this space.
Well, that is not entirely true because the air is free to move from room to room, but cutting out 8 feet of hot water baseboard is a decent reduction in heat, so I decided it was not worth having a pair of very narrow cabinets under the counter top.
The plywood is recessed 1/4 inch behind the stud line on purpose.
I installed plenty of 1/4 steel brackets which will support the section of granite later on. The granite is going to a long way towards stabilizing the bar top! It’s pretty steady already because I used L brackets to bolt it to the floor, but once the counter goes in it with be set for life. Or until we change it.
Ok enough of that… now for something
the old owner failed to properly install absolutely disgusting:
Exhibit A is the undercarriage beneath the old sink. So so much going wrong here. Briefly, do you recall the lack of gas line shutoffs I spoke of earlier? The same logic was included with the water supply. They are in the basement. Hidden above the ceiling tiles. And pretty much fused in the wide open position.
And the water damage…. shaking my damn head… I am at a complete loss for words. They should be in prison.
But that’s not all!
That piece of horizontally cut pipe? Yeah that was soldered and bend and all kinds of retarded directly into the dishwasher. I am pretty sure flexible tubing has been around for hundreds of thousands of years, so I don’t know why they did that so complicated with
rigid kinked pipe.
Do you SEE this???
Let’s first step back a few years. Shortly after moving in here, possibly our first day here when I tried to repair the broken bathroom sink and had to completely replace the thing due to ineptness, I formed a little rule for myself:
I refuse to touch anything int his house until I am completely ready to do it right.
I am proud to say that this under sink disaster looks nearly identical to the way it was when we moved in.
…And some wonder about my disdain for home inspectors.
So let’s see… We hacksaw the galvanized pipe instead of unscrewing it. Then we improperly install a boot (the two pieces of pipe should nearly meet inside, not just sit half inch inside the lip). Then instead of going to PVC, we decide to throw the galvanized pipe back on?? Then transition to the absolute worst Walmart special drain sink down tube ever.
There are sixteen or so ridges of garbage-collecting mayhem in that down tube!
So I re-piped it.
Not just there…
It is now new PVC right until it reaches the main line.
Nothing is easy here on Babe Ruth Avenue…
But alas once all that was set, we were ready for much needed reinforcements. We have a three man crew to help with some of the finer details of the project, and I am very much impressed with the quality of their work and attention to detail!
Here the underlayment was put in place. The boards were thinnest, then screwed, then nailed into permanent position. Prior to this they removed the tile as well as the original linoleum floor.
Then the biggest changes began:
They did such an outstanding job with the sheetrock, and completed it all in the same day! I couldn’t believe how fast everything went up. They arrived early, prepared, and completed everything with almost zero mess.
You can see the way the counter will be floating on this last photograph. Underneath I am going to install a few decorative corbels, but the load will be held by the brackets instead of solely by the wood blocks.
But what about those floors?
Well, day three:
They are rough set in this photograph so the glory that is our porcelain floor cannot be fully understood in this photograph!
We installed new transitions for each of the doors, and the floor runs perfectly down the hallway and seamlessly into the kitchen. It will be installed with a charcoal-black grout so as to keep the neat wood-like appearance. We installed it with a random cut pattern so the lines travel parallel in one direction, but are randomly staggered so as to more closely match hardwood floor appearances.
The funny part about all this is that underneath the floors in the hallway is really nice hardwoods which were destroyed by the previous owners’ decide to cover it with one of the ugliest ceramic tiles ever! Oh well. So now we have faux-wood over real-wood, but it is a thousand times more durable!
is was our life in Chateau Wyman del Clifton for a few days.
I say was because as I type this on the computer, I am listening to the pitter patter of contractor’s feet moving about along with the pleasant sound of cordless drills and stuff.
So until next time!
And remember, larger and higher resolution copies of this whole project can be found by clicking here to my Smugmug page! So, you know, thinking about that old sink waste pipe and stuff… ; )
Up Next: Cabinetry!